Speaking with my friend Zhang Ke about what the Chinese tourist might be interested in when he goes to Italy, it occurred to me to prepare a special list to be published on the Chinese section of the site. The exercise was not easy, given the variety of artistic and natural beauty of Italy.
However, hereinafter is what I would recommend to the foreign tourist.
Romantic city built on the islands. Famous because it can only be traveled by boat (there are no roads for cars or motorcycles).
Not to be missed: San Marco Square, the Basilica of San Marco, the Grand Canal, the singing gondoliers.
The capital of Italy and the center of the Roman Empire 2000 years ago (it is called the Eternal City). City full of nightlife and excellent pasta restaurants, with a beautiful climate all year round. You must visit (not to be missed):
– the archaeological remains of the ancient Roman Empire such as the Colosseum, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum;
– the Trevi Fountain;
– the Vatican, is an independent sovereign state (the smallest in the world), as well as being the seat of the Catholic Church (it is the Pope’s house). To visit there are St. Peter’s Square, the largest cathedral in the world, and the Vatican Museums;
– Piazza di Spagna and via Condotti for shopping.
Florence is the cradle of the Renaissance and the development of fine arts in the Western world. There are:
– one of the most famous museums in the world (Uffizi Gallery);
– the cathedral with Brunelleschi’s dome;
– the most famous statue in the world, namely Michelangelo’s David.
Milan is the capital of Italian fashion. To be seen:
– Piazza Duomo
– the Duomo (church of Milan). It is important to go up to the roof to see the panorama and spiers of the church
– Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, with trendy shops, bars and restaurants
– via Montenapoleone, with the most famous luxury brands.
5. The Cinque Terre (Five Lands).
The Cinque Terre are 5 small villages along the sea coast. You will find beautiful architecture and wonderful seascapes; you will take great photos.
Please note that they can be visited only on foot along beautiful paths overlooking the sea, or by boat or train.
Pisa is famous for its leaning tower, in the so-called square of miracles.
7. Siena and Val d`Orcia.
Siena is a small town near Florence. To be seen:
– the famous Piazza del Campo
– Val d’Orcia, 30 minutes away by car. There are beautiful hills with cypresses (trees), farmhouse. The small villages of Montalcino and Montepulciano for wine lovers.
8. The Dolomites.
The Dolomites are very sharp mountains on the border with Austria, ideal for hiking in nature, climbing and skiing.
The most spectacular walk is perhaps the hiking loop of the Three Peaks of Lavaredo (Tre Cime di Lavaredo. here the description in English).
9. Capri.Capri is located in the Gulf of Naples. It is an island known for its trendy center, for exclusive shopping, for the Faraglioni and the blue cave (Grotta Azzurra), to be visited only by boat.
10. Amalfi Coast.
The Amalfi Coast is near Naples, it is known as the “earthly paradise” and is known for its center (the city of Amalfi, built between mountain and the sea), its natural beauty, the food and the Limoncello, a liquor made of lemon.